Thursday 26 May 2011

Soup on the Roof

Last night our good friend Freya came round to have dinner before the rowing outing at 6:30. So I wanted to cook something really quick but from scratch. I settled on my favourite summer soup recipe, which is based on Italian minestrone style soup but contains all my favourite things and certainly no celery! This is one recipe which doesn't really need sticking to religiously!



Ingredients
olive oil
garlic (as much or as little to suit taste!)
an onion
200g bacon lardons (smoked in this case)
6 small potatoes
6 sweet tomatoes - cherry or on the vine are nicest!
a handful of fresh basil
dried oregano
mini pasta - I used De Cecco's stellette which my lovely local waitrose stocks
stock cube

Method
Fry the onion and garlic in olive oil until translucent. Add bacon, keep stirring and cooking until nicely browned and the fat's starting to get a little bit crispy (that's just how I like the bacon in this - it gives a nice texture). Add stock and water to fill the pan, the potatoes, pasta and tomatoes, and then cook until the potatoes are soft (about 20 mins). Add basil about 5 mins before the end. 

Eat in the sunshine with friends!


We sat out on the boat's roof, watching the boats on the river, and had local strawberries and cream for dessert. Later on we'd hoped to go to the Beer Festival to see the Herbies but were feeling a bit zonked and James was suffering from terrible hayfever. So we'll try again tonight!


twitter // facebook // email // follow // any questions?

3 comments:

  1. Oh I'll be giving that a go! It sounds gorgeous.

    Must be idyllic sitting on the roof watching the world go by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous! Looks so great!

    ReplyDelete