Thursday 5 May 2011

Cow Parsley

Midsummer Common is blooming with delicate lacy cow parsley. Ostensibly a weed, I think it's really beautiful. It has heralded the arrival of the Red Poll cattle which are grazed on the Common every summer, now that the fair has departed. There has been some controversy about whether these cows should be allowed, as they do make a bit of a mess, but they are an eco friendly way of keeping the grass down and I enjoyed seeing them wandering about and chewing the cud under the chestnut trees. They are a part of what makes the Common more than just a park. And since you can buy CamCattle beef in the butchers on Victoria Avenue, I don't think you could buymore locally produced meat!



 




twitter // facebook // email // follow // any questions?

3 comments:

  1. Weed? Pfft. It's far more beautiful than a lot of flowers in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just stumbled upon your blog. Nice to meet you! :) I think those are GREAT pics you took!
    xoxo-
    Jamielyn
    I ♥ Nap Time

    ReplyDelete