Wednesday 11 May 2011

Off-Grid Baking 5: Duck Shortbread


Last night I made a batch of duck shaped white and milk chocolate chip shortbread biscuits with the lovely cookie cutter that Athena gave me. They were really easy to make, following this recipe from Lauren:

Ingredients

175g soft unsalted butter
200g caster sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
400g plain flour
Choclate chips

Method

1. Preheat oven to 180c. Cream the butter & sugar together until pale and fluffy, then beat in the eggs and vanilla.

2. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder & salt. Add the dry ingredients to the butter and eggs, and mix.

3. Halve the dough, form into fat discs, wrap each half in plastic wrap & rest in the fridge for at least an hour.

4. Sprinkle a suitable surface with flour, place a disc of dough on it (not taking out the other half until finished with the first) and sprinkle a little more flour on top of that. Roll it out to about ½ cm thickness. Cut into shapes, dipping the cutter into flour as you go, and place the biscuits a little apart on baking trays lined with baking paper.

5. Bake for 8-10 minutes, by which time they will be lightly golden around the edges. Cool on a rack and continue on with the rest of the dough.

They took a bit longer in my little oven than the recipe states to go golden round the edges, but after about 15 minutes I took them out. I put aside 9 to give to the girls in my outing tonight then James and I polished off the rest. I've still got half of the dough in the fridge (yay, fridge!), so I'll make some more tonight!


twitter // facebook // email // follow // any questions?

5 comments:

  1. Egg in shortbread? No, that's so wrong!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Should it be egg-free then? I didn't know that. Have you got a recipe which doesn't use eggs that I can try?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a funky take on the normal shortbread recipe - bet they taste gorgeous. It's one of the few things I can't bake. Dairy-free margarine is usually an excellent substitute for butter but it just doesn't work in shortbread!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 6 oz plain flour
    4 oz butter
    2 oz caster sugar

    that's it.
    Roll out, cut out, 30 mins at mark 2

    Egg is for cakes; it has no place in biscuits (Sarah's guide to life no. 4)

    ReplyDelete