Wednesday 9 March 2011

Off-Grid Baking 2: Mini Egg Brownies

So, as I posted yesterday, I used the time spent cruising out to our old mooring  on Sunday to do a bit of baking while underway. Luckily these were so quick to make and cook that I was able to enjoy the cruise and work Baits Bite lock as well. At one point, I had just begun to measure out ingredients when the boat came to a stop on the bank and James called for my help. Turned out that his friends who were rowing along in front of us had something come loose on their boat and needed a spanner. So he asked me to grab one, hop out and help them fix it. This I duly did, and once the boys were on their way again I carried on baking!

I used a recipe posted by Sophie of Cider with Sophie. She said they had been really sucessful, and I had all the ingredients to hand. The recipe uses oil rather than butter: It was great for baking without a mixer as it can all be combined quite easily by hand (so not ever so challenging, this one!). 

Ingredients
50ml sunflower oil
150g white caster sugar
2 medium eggs
1tsp vanilla extract
50g cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
80g plain flour

Pre-heat oven to gas mark 4, mix the oil and sugar throughly then add the eggs and vanilla and mix well, then add the cocoa powder, flour and baking powder stir really well.

line or grease a 20cm x 20cm baking tin and pour the batter in the tin then bake until cooked through (around 15-20mins), stick a cocktail stick in the middle to test if they are done the stick should come out with a few slightly moist crumbs on.
 I added mini eggs to the recipe - just because I thought it would be nice, and they were.

Ready to go in the oven

Cruising along, with brownies fresh out of the oven. 
I took them out onto the stern and we ate them warm while chugging along.


We ate them all with John, Jackie and Rhoda so I made another batch on the way back into town. This time I used muscovado sugar as I'd run out of caster. This made them more like cake, but still good:


2 comments:

  1. I'm going to make these tonight, I think - I'm hoping that using veg oil rather than butter will mean that they're suitable for my lactose intolerant friend - not sure how well the cocoa and mini eggs will agree with him!

    ReplyDelete