Tuesday 5 July 2011

A Return to Studenthood

UCL's Gower Street campus (from here)
I've been waiting to post this for a long time. This October, as James begins his PGCE in Primary Education, I am to embark upon the first year of an Engineering Doctorate (or EngD) at University College London. It is an industry sponsored course, meaning that I will still be based in Cambridge with my company but rocketing back and forth to London a few days a week for lectures and supervisions. The subject of my research will be the ability of the UK's housing stock to respond and adapt to future changes in climate, using energy modelling tools. I'll be based at the Energy Institute when I'm in London, and will be supervised by one of the top people in the field.

I began to think about the idea of applying for this last year, and put the idea to my company that they might like to sponsor me. They agreed, and so we put in the proposal to UCL, who approved the project for funding. Then I had to have an interview, and there were various protracted discussions about funding intricacies. Until it was all sorted I didn't want to publicise the good news. But finally, last week, I got an official letter from UCL confirming that it is all going ahead! I'm really looking forwards to this next stage of my career. For the next four year I will be a student again, and life is going to change!

twitter // facebook // email // follow // any questions?

4 comments:

  1. Congrats. A good career move - and I bet you will enjoy it too!
    Kath (nb Herbie)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to you both--may all your hard work pay off with a life doing something you both enjoy and find meaningful! Here's to the benefits of a good education and the doors that open for one as a result.
    cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Amy, best wishes to the both of you for the next academic slog!
    Lesley

    ReplyDelete