Friday 23 March 2012

Uninvited

The other day I had got home before James, at about 5 on a nice sunny evening. I was sitting quietly on the sofa with a cup of tea, when I heard the clonk, clonk of someone getting on to the boat. As I was expecting James home at first I though it was him, but when I looked up I saw a woman in a frilly dress sitting on our bow. This quickly assuaged any fears I could have had - I am open minded but you don't see a lot of burglars in pink flowery dresses! 

So, I got up and went to speak to her. When she saw me emerge, she jumped off in a fright. Her friend had been taking a photo of her from the bank. I was pretty annoyed but didn't shout at her, just said, "Look, I don't mind if you want to take a picture, but please, ask first! This is my home!". She was extremely embarrassed, but had the cheek to say "I didn't think anyone was home", when she had not made any attempt to check this. I really wouldn't have minded had she knocked and asked politely. In fact I am more than happy to answer tourists questions about life on board when I'm in a good mood. It was the sheer lack of respect for the fact that my boat is private property that got me - she didn't knock, just jumped on the bow! I don't expect she knew that people live on the boats, as she was Chinese, but you wouldn't climb onto someone's car and have your picture taken either.

Anyone else had this happen? If it had been at night I'd have been much more scared and would have resorted to the 'headtorch, hammer and mooring pin' strategy!

Lyra is often to be seen jumping uninvited onto other people's boats but they don't seem to  mind too much!
 

twitter // facebook // email // follow // any questions?

6 comments:

  1. Hi Amy

    We had exactly the same happen with 2 chinese tourists when moored in Paddington Basin a couple of years a go, at 1am in the morning! They just wanted to take a photo of themselves sat on the boat and didn't realise anyone was aboard! Must be the chinese I guess? Regards Doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happens ever such a lot in Stratford. We only had one night in the basin but the tourists began clambouring on at 7 in the morning. I am not at my best at that time but even I gave up after the third round of playing Let's Shriek at the Tourists in my PJs and even Give Chase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I would have been so kind

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep: had this in Camden and also received the defence, "We didn't think anyone was home!"
    "DOES THAT MAKE IT OK THEN?" I yelled! I was furious! I told them,
    "This is someones home!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I see anything in the cutlass or pike line at Emmaus I'll get it for you.

    There's only one way to repel boarders, and they don't like it up 'em, you know......

    :-)

    ReplyDelete