Friday 10 September 2010

Cambridge Wood Works

As a result of my search for a source of firewood that isn't the overpriced bags at the garage, I came across the rather excellent establishment that is Cambridge Wood Works. They operate a double ended business: they collect waste wood  - Pallets - broken or whole, timber offcuts, all sheet materials, doors, windows, frames, boxes, crates, cable reels, furniture, fixtures, fittings - and then recycle it for resale. Unlike wood collected by Cambridge Wood Works, timber which is skipped will end up in landfill, where it rots, producing greenhouse gases like methane.

I contacted them by email asking if they sold scrap wood for burning, and received a prompt reply: they sell huge bags of chopped up wood for £5. So yesterday I went along to their conveniently placed warehouse (about 10 minutes walk from the boat, near Mackays on Occupation Road) with my sacktruck. I was met by David, the director, who gave me a bag. He showed me around the warehouse: it's amazing! So many useful bits of wood and board (all diligently denailed), as well as some furniture.

I'm sure we will be back many times over the winter!

The firewood bags are the white ones on the sheves

All for sale
David and his team

4 comments:

  1. Hi Alys

    many thanks for your visit yesterday, your valued custom and those wonderful pics!

    Hope to see you at Cambridge Wood Works again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great place, and such a good idea, that really is making recycling work. I hope they get lots of customers. Those bags look really good value too.
    Kath (nb Herbie)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be burning wood this year as opposed to coal. Cleaner and greener :) I've opted for wood briquettes though because they light so easily and I'm rubbish at building fires lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, I'll be in there too, I'm sure, as I think my supply of free wood may well have dried up this year!

    ReplyDelete