Thursday 25 August 2011

Glorious Devon 3: Coleton Fishacre and Brownstone Battery

We hoped to make the trip to the National Trust's Coleton Fishacre on Saturday, but alas, the weather was rubbish, so we stayed at home mostly and I baked a batch of nutella cupcakes, and James fixed my mum's computer, which had a dodgy power supply. In the evening I made curry for everyone with the help of my little sister.

On Sunday, with the weather improved, my mum and her partner Peter took us in the car to the beautiful Coleton Fishacre near Dartmouth. We visited the dramatic, beautiful gardens, dropping steeply down to the sea, and the wonderful Art Deco/Arts and Crafts house. The interior is decorated with a collection of rather lovely understated deco pieces, in muted colours, with the occasional monochrome touch.

I love this picture Peter took of us at Coleton
My mum and I
After a tasty lunch in the cafe there, we visited a WW2 coastal battery just around the corner, now home to the volunteer run Coastwatch service. It was really interesting. Close by was the magnificent Dartmouth Daymark, which sailors still use to locate the hidden entrance to Dartmouth estuary. We finished the day by returning on the train along the spectacular Paignton - Exeter railway line.

1 comment: