Today I managed to get a lot of jobs done on the boat.
First up was to fit a new mounting for the bilge pump and float switch under the stern gear. I mounted them in a large Tupperware box so that hopefully any drips can be caught and dealt with. I used Sikaflex to glue the float switch down, and screwed a wooden batten across to hold the bilge pump itself down.
Working out the electrical connections was a bit harder. I wanted to wire it so the bilge pump could be turned on manually or by the float switch. A bit of thought led me to put the two switches in the circuit in parallel so that either can complete the circuit and run the pump.
I also had some modifications made to our mooring pins. We use cut off lengths of scaffolding pole as well as normal pins, which although they are far more fixed in the ground, the rope is less secure and can be just lifted off. So I bought two U bolts and had them welded onto the sides of the tubes by the Mackays metalworking workshop. A very good result, two pins - one about 3' long, the other nearer 4' - with loops on the side to stop the rope being lifted off.
Sledgehammering them into the ground was hard work, but we're now securely moored.
Stoke Bruerne Gala Weekend 2013
5 hours ago