Friday 11 May 2012

Wild Food Walk

Last night I went on a Wild Food walk, organised by Cambridge University Gastronomic Discovery. The walk was led by Jacky Sutton-Adam, a local wild food expert. We walked around Grantchester Meadow, learning about all the wild greens which can be found at this time of year. I really enjoyed it, and although I had begun to recognise some of these plants by myself, it was good to have these plants' identities confirmed by someone more experienced. It was also nice to meet other wild food enthusiasts - sometimes it feels like I'm the only mad person who likes to eat weeds!

With my new-found knowledge I had a poke around my end of Midsummer Common and found it to be a veritable salad bowl, with lots of dandelion and nettles I already knew about but also loads of chickweed and mallow. I'm really excited to learn more about wild food, especially it seems the Common is my version of a vegetable garden!


These are the plants we identified, along with some I already knew like dandelions and nettles


Dead Nettle

Brook Lime

Prickly Sow Thistle

Chickweed

Ground Ivy

Hedge Garlic

Mallow



twitter // facebook // email // follow // any questions?

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like so much fun! I read a book many years ago...called Wild Foods...

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a hardback copy of Culpeper's Complete Herbal which is yours as soon as you put your hand on it!

    John.

    xx

    ReplyDelete