Wednesday 8 February 2012

Off Grid Baking: Bakewell Tart

Visiting Sarah and Jim in their new floating home at the weekend, I simply had to make them a Bakewell Tart as a present. I suppose I could have made a Bakewell Pudding, the original dessert to come from the Derbyshire town, but I had memories of my mum making wonderful bakewell tarts and so decided to have a go. Sarah took a much better picture of it than me:


However, I am not the world's biggest fan of almonds, so I wanted to try something a little different, based on a recipe I saw on the TV show Jamie Oliver's Great Britain. He used ground hazelnuts and walnuts instead of almonds and cranberries instead of jam, finishing it off with a St Clement's (orange and lemon) icing. 

This is my version:

Shortcrust pastry -enough to line a 10-12' dish (the dish I used was smaller so I had some filling left over and made a 'spare' one!)

For the frangipane filling:
200g butter
200g nuts (I used a mixture of hazelnuts, peanuts and walnuts)
250g caster sugar
zest of one lemon and one orange
3 eggs
60g plain flour

Bake the pastry case blind for about 15mins at gas mark 4

While that's cooking, if the nuts are not already powdered, grind them up. I found this particularly difficult with only my little hand blender, but it would be simple with an electric mixer!

Cream together the butter and sugar, add the zest, nuts, flour and eggs and stir well.

Once the pastry case is done, remove and spread the bottom with your favourite jam. I used the crab apple jam I made last September (remind me to blog about that!). Fill the case up with the frangipane, layered over the jam. 

Cook at gas mark 4 for 45-50 minutes.

While it's baking, make the St. Clements icing: mix icing sugar into the juice of the orange and the lemon you used for zest, until it's nicely thickened but still very pourable. Serve drizzled over slices of the tart.





twitter // facebook // email // follow // any questions?

No comments:

Post a Comment